Serengeti Scholars is rapidly growing and changing lives of students in Tanzania:
2017 finds us very busy. Here are some of the things we’ve been working on and some of the results:
- We sponsored 50 secondary school students in S.T.E.M education , with a 100% continuation rate into 2017.
- Of the 50 students, 39 are young women studying Science.
- We brought online learning to the 50 students through a collaboration with BrainPop.com and AirTel TZ
- 85% of Serengeti Scholars finished 2016 with a 3.0 or higher average, even though their lives are incredibly difficult.
- Our rising high school students attended computer training and learned the full Microsoft Suite. 50% of the students have been trained to date.
- 18 out of 19 rising High School students passed the Form Four National Examinations with DIstinction.
- We provided 15,000 meals to the poorest families in the Food for Families Program
- Single parents of Serengeti Scholars received start-up grants, business training, and are now running profitable businesses, enabling them to pay for their most basic of needs.
- In partnership with Aunt Mary’s Bookshelf, a US based charity, a lending library of fiction books has given the students their first time reading for enjoyment. It has been transforming their lives.
- We sponsored routine and emergency healthcare, as well as crisis aid in abandonment and abuse situations.
- We increased our donor base through presentations in conjunction with Rotary.
- We’ve doubled our social media following.